President Sirisena denies knowledge of impending attack on April 21

President Maithripala Sirisena yesterday said that media reports claiming that he had been informed about the impending Easter Sunday attack were absolutely false, the President’s Media Division said.

It said in a statement that there were media reports of a statement made by the Head of the National Intelligence Service, while giving evidence at the Parliamentary Select Committee appointed to look into the April 21 terrorist attacks.

The media reports stated that the National Security Council did not meet after February 2019.

As there were media reports appearing unofficially on the proceedings of the NSC, it was decided to establish an NSC with a new format and this has been in operation for more than one year. The new NSC has been meeting every two weeks and, on some occasions the President has convened the meetings of the NSC every week, it said.

Furthermore, on April 8, 2019, the President has convened the monthly meeting of the Inspector General of Police and senior police officers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares